‘Listening with the Heart’
On Wednesday 22 June, our diocesan family joyfully gathered at the cathedral. Bishop Declan invited every parish, school, and religious order to an Evening Liturgy and presented the Clifton Diocesan Synodal report. The liturgy began with music from the St Nicholas of Tolentino choir leading us into a reflective and joyful celebration. In his own reflection Bishop Declan’s words focused on the overarching themes that emerged from the many responses that the Synod team received. He encouraged us all to see the Synodal journey as a new way to move forward and grow as a Church within Clifton Diocese.
If you would like to read the Diocesan report, you can read it on our website: Synodal-response-booklet.pdf (


Parishioners will be pleased to know that Mass takes place at 11am on the First Friday of each summer month. Please remember to wear stout shoes and share lifts where possible as parking is a little limited.

Recently, on the Feast of St James, Holy Mass was concelebrated by Fathers Joby, Tony and Paul with a congregation of fifty people from four of the surrounding churches. The atmosphere was truly beautiful and all were able to appreciated the special atmosphere in a candle-lit place which spoke of the continuity of our faith over the centuries. Refreshments were enjoyed afterwards in the lovely grounds.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-1.png
The beautiful interior

Many parishioners of St Nicholas will have visited this church in previous years and been enchanted by its antiquity and setting. It is hoped that people from across our three parishes will find this beautiful old church.

There is some building work that needs to be attended to and this will be taken in hand following further consultation with Clifton and the involved of our Health & Safety/Buildings Manager.

Background and history

St James Church is a small, two-cell Norman chapel, restored to Catholic use at the end of the nineteenth century when ornate carved stone decoration was applied internally. The chapel forms part of an important historic group with PostlipHall and its medieval tithe barn. This Norman chapel, reputedly founded by William de Solers about 1139, was used as a farm building for several centuries.

It was restored for Catholic use in 1890-91 for Mr and Mrs Stuart Forster, Catholic converts and friends of Cardinal Manning who had acquired the adjacent Postlip Hall. The chapel was re-consecrated by Bishop Clifford on 16 June 1891. The chapel, built of local stone with a stone-slated roof, is a two-cell structure, consisting of a Norman nave and chancel with a seventeenth-century bell turret with ball finial above the chancel arch, and a northwest sacristy added in 1890-1 at the time of the building’s restoration and return to Catholic use. Late Perpendicular east and west windows have been inserted but a small original Norman window with widely splayed internal jambs remains on each side of both nave and chancel. The Norman south doorway has chevron mouldings at right angles on the arch, with ball enrichments in the hoodmould above, star diapering to the abaci and lintel, a recessed tympanum ornamented with overlapping fishscales and jamb shafts with scalloped capitals. The doorway itself has a later three-centred arch. The interior, with exposed stonework pointed in grey cement, retains its Norman chancel arch with chevron, star and billet decoration. 

The Chapel is Grade 1 listed; this means building permission is required for demolition, extension or alteration in a way that will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. 

Religious use: the Chapel is consecrated and used occasionally for masses, often held on or near St James’s Day (July 25th).

It should be noted there are no services on the site. Access is through the grounds of Postlip Hall and limited parking is available, courtesy of Postlip Hall. There is an established right of way to the grounds of the Chapel. Access for those with disability is limited.

The exterior of the chapel